My attempt at updating the 1382 Wycliffe Bible: Gospel of John, Chapter 1

Gospel of John.

1:1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and God was the word.
2 This was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him, and without him was made no thing, that thing that was made.
4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men; and the light shines in darkness,
5 and darkness comprehended it not.
6 A man was sent from God, whose name was John.
7 This man came witnessing, that he should bear witness of the light.
8 He was not the light, but he bore witness of the light.
9 There was a true light, which lights each man that comes into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came to his own, and they received him not.
12 But how ever many received him, he gave to them power to be made sons of God, to him that believed in his name.
13 who were not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, neither of the will of man, but being born of God.
14. And the word was made man, and dwelled among us, and we had seen the glory of him, as the glory of the only begotten son of the Father, full of grace and of truth.
15 John bore witness of him, and cried, and said, 'This is, whom I said, He that shall come after me, is made before me, for he was before me".
16 And the plenty of him we all have taken, and grace for grace.
17 For the law was given by Moses; but grace and truth is made by Jesus Christ.
18 No man ever saw God, none but the only begotten son, that is in the bosom of the Father, he has told us.
19 And this is the witness of John, when Jews sent from Jerusalem priests and levites to him, that they should ask him, "Who are you?".
20 He confessed, and denied not, and he confessed, "I am not Christ".
21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he said, "I am not. "Are you a prophet?" And he answered, "No".
22 Therefore they said to him, "Who are you? That we may give an answer to those that sent us. What do you say of yourself?".
23 He said, "I am a voice of a crier in the desert, Make straight the way of the Lord". as Isaiah the prophet, said.
24 And they who were sent, were of the Pharisees.
25 And they asked him, and said to him, "Why then do you baptise, if you are not Christ, nor Elijah, nor a Prophet?".
26 John answered them and said, "I baptise in water, but in the midst of you stands one, that you know not;
27 he it is, that shall come after me, that was made before me, of whom I am not worthy to loose the strap of his shoe".
28 These things were done in Bethany beyond Jordan, where John was baptising.
29 Another day John saw Jesus coming to him and he said, " See! the Lamb of God; See! he that does away with the sins of the world.
30 This is he, that I said of, after me is come a man, which was made before me, for he was rather than I.
31 And I knew him not, but that he should be shown in Israel, therefore I came baptising in water".
32 And John bore witness and said, "I saw the Spirit coming down as a dove from heaven, and dwelled on him,
33 And I knew him not, but he who  sent me to baptise in water told me, 'On whom you see the Spirit coming down, and dwell on him, this is he who baptises in the Holy Spirit'.
34 And I say, and bear witness, that this is the Son of God".
35 Another day John stood with two of his disciples;
36 and he saw Jesus walking, and said, "See! The Lamb of God".
37 And the two disciples heard him speaking, and followed Jesus.
38 And Jesus turned, and seeing them follow him, said to them "What do you seek" and they said to him, "Rabbi (that is to say: Master) where do you dwell?".
39 And he said to them, "Come and see". And they came, and saw where he was staying, they also stayed with him that day, it was the tenth hour.
40 Andrew, the brother of Simon-Peter, was one of the two that had heard John, and followed him.
41 He found first his brother Simon, and he said to him, "We have found the Messiah (i.e Christ)", and he led him to Jesus
42 Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon, the son of Jonah, you shall be called Cephas, (or Peter)".
43 The next day he would go out to Galilee, where he found Philip, and he said to him "Follow me".
44 Philip was from Beth-Saida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
45 Philip found Nathanael, and said to him, "We have found Jesus, the son of Joseph, of Nazareth, who Moses wrote of in the law and prophets".
46 And Nathanael said to him, "May something good have come of Nazareth?".
47 Philip said to him, "Come, and see". Jesus saw Nathanael coming and said to him "See! truly a man of Israel, in whom there is no guile".
48 Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?". Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you".
49 Nathanael replied "Rabbi, you are the Son of God, you are King of Israel!".
50 Jesus answered and said to him "For I said to you, I saw you under the fig tree, you believe; you shall see more than these things".
51 And he said to him "Truly, truly, I say to you, you shall see heaven opened, and the angels of God going up and coming down on the son of man.

Comments

Popular Posts