The Grant Horner Daily Bible Reading Plan.

A couple of days ago I discovered the Horner Bible Plan. Basically you take a chapter from ten sections of scripture, and what it basically does is speed up your bible devotions. You can literally do the bible once a year, but rather than methodically scan through it, you do some books up to and above 12 times in a year (such as acts, proverbs).

THE TEN LISTS:
List 1 (89 days)
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

List 2 (187 days)
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

List 3 (78 days)
Romans, I&II Cor, Gal, Eph, Phil, Col, Hebrews

List 4 (65 days)
I&II Thess, I&II Tim, Titus, Philemon, James, I&II Peter, I,II&III John, Jude, Revelation

List 5 (62 days)
Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon

List 6 (150 days)
Psalms

List 7 (31 days)
Proverbs

List 8 (249 days)
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I&II Samuel, I&II Kings, I&II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther

List 9 (250 days)
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah,
Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

List 10 (28 days)
Acts


I need this! I probably read my bible daily, but its more of a glossing over whilst the TV is on, or looking at it whilst watching Founders Baptist Church on Sermonaudio.com, it simply isnt the same as devouring the word whilst sitting quietly on your own away from distraction. It's been two days and already I can sense the difference. It aids in retention of meaning [and often of verses themselves], you feel more "switched on", and add to that a good nights sleep [it helps to read before bed, and when you get up, so you can slash those numbers in half] and this can make a substantial difference in your life.

Horner has spent 25 years with the same bible, and can tell you exactly where in his bible a certain verse is, "(I Peter 3:15; right-hand page, right hand column, 1/3rd way down)". I don't exactly want to be that pious, but it shows how going over and over YOUR bible, making sure to use the same one, can really make a difference - I mean if he can remember location, maybe we can remember the verse itself? This is why I want to follow this plan, I had no structure in my reading, and as such I would likely never be able to retain it, at least not in a feasible amount of time. But to volunteer 60-80 minutes a day (morning and night together) to a bible plan that WILL make a difference is little, its like a seed on good soil that will in its time yield a hundredfold.

Anyway, its day two, I'm reading from my ESV legacy bible. Heres what it looks like





Its perfectly suited to reading. I have it in trutone, but if needs be I can always invest in leather. But the binding is sturdy, and it will last many years to come. The fonts are big, comfortable to read from the lap, and it holds the ten bookmarks I have in it. Its funny, I've just bought a NET bible (which I intend to review soon) but I still end up using my traditional ESV for something like this. I guess it speaks volumes of the quality of the ESV as a translation, and perhaps of me as a big ol' conservative.

The translation does suit reading, I doubt the reformers would have wanted to be seen lugging round an NLT or CEB in their day. Whilst those translations would suit those who don't have English as a first language. For us Brits I think a nice ESV or NKJV would do far more good, simply because you are reading a direct translation rather than a dynamic one. [often you see in the NET notes "heb:" "grk:" and what it says is often what is in the ESV such as in Joshua "their hearts melted away"].

So yes, I will update when I have been following this plan longer- as always I veered off the subject. But inevitably I will when I start talking bible translations - my pet subject.

God bless and I hope you have a great day.

Chris.

Comments

Popular Posts