Self-centred, thoroughly non-biblical 'Christian' song lyrics

Am I more than flesh and bones? Am I really something beautiful? yeah I wanna believe, Jesus help me believe that I, am someone worth dying for. -Mikeschair

So don't be ashamed to wear your crown, You're a king you're a queen inside and out -Britt Nicole

 Your presence is heaven to me - Israel Houghton

What if there's a bigger picture? What if I'm missing out? What if there's a greater purpose, I could be living right now, Outside my own little world -Matthew West

Stopped at a red light, looked out my window, I saw a cardboard sign, said "Help this homeless widow" And just above that sign was the face of a human, I thought to myself, "God, what have I been doing?" - Matthew West



It should've been me
It should've been us
Should've been hanging on a cross

All of this shame
All of these scars
Should've been stains that were never washed
Why do I hide
Why do you try
Over and over and over again

I guess it just eaves me saying thank God
It leaves me saying thank God, thank God
For the should've been


-Citizen Way


I've picked a very limited number of songs for this particular blog entry. Basically, I listen to a lot of 'modern' Christian music. Largely because of the convenience of turning on my internet radio and listening to some, quite good christian songs. There seems however to be a plague of Arminianism, and purpose-driven theology in our modern music. Also, some song writers seem to feel as if, all this is some kind of cosmic accident, that human sin is just some misfortune that befell us, and that God created us for some kind of purpose that is to be revealed in our lives, and that we are not beheld to the same sort of promises OR punishments that used to exist in the olden days for the heathens.

In other words, theology and preaching, thanks to Rick Warren and his ilk, has irrevocably altered the face of modern christianity. The emotional impact of old preaching (as evidenced in some of the books that I read, works of Tyndale and Chaning-Pearce for instance) seems lost to the modern crowd, its now normal to think that WE should be on the cross instead of Jesus, which frankly is a ridiculous notion (at least in the face of biblical christianity). Jesus was not a man, if he were his death is for nothing. However if he were God we would want him on the cross! Why would you want him anywhere else? Oh Jesus, you poor fellow, let me die on the cross instead, and what? Such idiocy, either you wish to die for the sins of the world (and thus be God in the flesh yourself) or you wish to declare propitiation null and void and condemn all christians past, present and future to Gehenna.

Should of been me indeed!

But this is the idiocy of some of the song-writing today. We have the Kari Jobes of the world, who cannot write a decent song if she tried, is seen in pictures doing the Mano Cornuto handsign, is a pentecostal, and claims to be a christian, yet apart from the 'veil' of christianity, I just don't see her, or many others truly representing what God wants, now Hey I'm not perfect, and I'm probably a far worse sinner than she..so this is not to say that I am better than her, and I would not judge her because I don't know her anymore than I know Rick Warren and this isn't to say that her music is not nice, Revelation Song is beautiful (although written by someone else) and her rendition indeed the best. But what the issue is here, is that the lyrics in these songs, are clinical, repetitive, and usually wrong when referenced against scripture, and millions of christians listen to her (and many others) without truly analysing what they listen to, heres something innocuous (but ignorant) from her:

Steady My Heart says "Wish it could be easy, why is life so messy? Why is pain a part of us?"

Well, because of sin.

As a christian she should know this, but, as I said before, in our modern Christian movement, sin is a misfortune that has befallen humanity, not something that we chose 6000 years ago in order to ourselves become gods. Yes folks, this isn't about bad behaviour, but about pride, about us wanting to usurp God! So, we have pain, because we are sinners, because the world is sinful.

As others have pointed out, many of her songs are...how can I put this...rather romantic towards God. I won't go into it here, but it should be noted, oh ye true christians..if you feel uncomfortable when listening to some of her songs..this is why. God is not your boyfriend Kari, nor is he YOUR bridegroom, he is the bridegroom of the church/congregation/assembly.

Matthew West's song, it seems that blasphemy nowadays is pretty much the norm in Christian music, to say to himself "God, what have I been doing". Now either he is using the word God, as an expletive (or would he not be saying to God "what have I been doing") or he is calling himself God? Perhaps nitpicking, but look at the lyrics.

I've done a whole blog entry on Britt Nicole, I will vouchsafe that if you want "encouraging" she is indeed encouraging. Its always encouraging to think "I'm a king". But of course this is rubbish. We are not kings or queens, nowhere does the bible call us kings. King is SUPREME ruler, we are not and never will be supreme rulers. live and reigned WITH Christ for 1000 years is not the same as what Miss Nicole describes here. its more like staying with the royal family and being given a little bit of power and a few tasks to perform. We seriously need to get a grip nowadays in our theology don't we.

Also, this idea that we are someone worth dying for - what is this? Of course we aren't worth it! Thats the beauty of it, thats why we are meant to love our fellow man, if God can love us, we can love them! Perfection can love imperfection, therefore imperfection should be able to love equal imperfection.

anyway, I hope all my readers enjoy this little rant, and I hope to bring a more ordered, more 'relevant' (can I use that word nowadays) blog entry sometime soon.

Also, if anyone here reads bibledesignblog.com, can they please let me know whats happened to Bertrand? He's been gone for months and I miss his blogs.

God bless each and every one of you.

Perhaps sometime soon I will take a full 'modern' song and rip it to shreds

Comments

Popular Posts