I have something to do tomorrow.

 I love the gospel, its so simple yet so life-changing, for believers and non-believers alike. One believes the gospel and is saved forever. One disbelieves it and is judged and destroyed forever. For one it is light, for the other it is darkness.

I personally believe that all sermons should revolve around the gospel in some way, even if we are preaching about Joshua destroying the great wall, or about Samuel proclaiming Saul king, it should be in light of the gospel truth. But many churches don't do this, and sadly the one I have been attending doesnt. Therefore I have to leave and move on.

I have been attending on-off for about 3 or 4 months. I have even blogged about it, but I won't mention its name because I am speaking negatively about it, and frankly, I wouldnt want to ruffle feathers if someone decides to check out my facebook and inadvertently finds this blog.

The people at the church are lovely people. Very welcoming and friendly. The only issue I have is the preaching, and of course the theological slant of the church [love and nothing else really]. The minister has been kind enough to try to take me under his wing, the people have been gracious, but I cannot get over the use of itinerant preachers who are: Self Self Self. Everything is about feeling good, and I remember a person [who shall remain nameless] pointing to a picture of Jesus on the Cross and saying "This is what we are all about here". No it isnt! If it were you wouldnt have to point at that picture and state that would you!

I can't actually remember a single sermon, it doesnt not edify or raise my mind, it doesnt make me *feel* christian. It simply is a place to go, and when I can log into sermonaudio and hear sermons that make me have chills, and reduce me to tears (thank you Pastor Richard Caldwell jr of Founders Baptist Church), I have to wonder why I don't make a little more effort and travel a little further to hear THAT sort of preaching in my local area.

The only problem is that this church is REALLY local, and that really I feel like I will be letting people down. But I have to make a stand for the gospel, for Jesus Christ. If everybody did what I was doing and simply left churches that no longer preached the gospel, either that church would shut down, or those in power would buck up their ideas. There is a church, a BIG church, just a couple of miles from me, that follows a similar doctrine [interestingly both these churches are methodist] of nothing but love, that means: no justification, no sanctification, no repentance, no predestination, no conviction, no salvation!

If people do not hear the gospel, how then are they to be saved? You can talk all day about how much God loves me, but what am I meant to do with that. My cat loves me, my family loves me, But God loves me sooo much! and? What is that for me? Does God want me to feel good? Yay God loves me: and?

God loves me, and he sent his only son to die on the cross for my sins, so that 1980 years later I could say, I accept and trust in you and what you did for me, never let me go Lord. Thank you!

Thats the simple gospel, he died that we may live, and he rose again so that we may live even MORE. his death is our salvation, and his resurrection is our promise of our resurrection into glory!

Of course, methodism preaches none of this. Instead it preaches; well I couldnt say, I remember none of it [therefore it must be bad]. I know its a form of arminianism, I know that its so lightweight that often the MESSAGE is used! seriously, the message?! this is preached to women of 90, the message! Can you imagine in your lifetime going from the KJV to the Message? Wow, how far we have fallen church, I don't particularly love the KJV but even I know how bad that is.

I now disavow methodism, I will hopefully (short of christenings etc) never attend one again. I am going to take two weeks off of church until my hours at work allow me to attend a further away church (darn sunday bus service), tomorrow I must inform the minister that I am leaving never to return. But if I am to get right doctrine I must move on. This is not just for me, this is for my future family. If I am to settle at this church, what example will I set for them? What was it that was said in courageous; "I dont have to ask who will teach my children, I WILL, I am their father", so if I teach them right doctrine (when I have them obviously) and take them to a 'heretical' church, wont that cause a mental conflict?

So for my family's sake, I will set an example, but cutting all ties with this church and moving on. No church ( for now ) is better than some church.



"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed." Galatians 1:8
 

"Thus says the LORD of hosts: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD." Jeremiah 23:16
 

"I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them." Romans 16:17

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." Matthew 7:15

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1


Comments

Popular Posts